Tuesday, 7 July 2015

get out and get moving!!!


Stomp Out Lymphedema is an campaign organised by the National Lymphedema Network. The run/walk event takes place in the United States to raise money and awareness for a great cause ... Lymphedema! http://www.lymphnet.org/overview/lymphedema-awareness-campaign/stomp-out-lymphedema

Here in the UK, to my knowledge, we don't currently have an equivalent. However, this doesn't mean that I don't exercise!!!

If you have Lymphedema, you need to exercise! The lymphatic system doesn't have an internal pump, it relies on the contractions of the leg/arm muscles to push lymphatic fluid out of the limbs and back towards the heart. Exercising stimulates the muscles and encourages movement of lymphatic fluid.

I do a combination of walking, running, and swimming. When I run, I wear CEP compression running leggings. Here's the link to the website: http://www.cepsports.co.uk/ .... it's time to invest!!! My running leggings are class 2 compression, with a section in the knee which isn't compression, this is to prevent the leggings rubbing on the kneecap and causing patella tendonitis. And the great news is, they look just like regular sports apparel.

After my run I like to go for a swim. Swimming is great for Lymphedema. The hydrostatic pressure of the water prevents swelling in the pool and cool water is very soothing for a swollen limb! 

So, my take home message today is ... get out and get moving, every little bit of movement helps! 

No comments:

Post a Comment